Saturday, June 6, 2009

Baked Onion Rings


I made these onion rings for my parents, nephew, and my two little boys the other night, and they were a BIG hit to put it lightly. The fact that my boys ate the whole thing, and not just the crunchy coating says a lot, so I thought I would share.




Baked Onion Rings

1 1/2 cups cornflakes or corn chex, whichever!
1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper
1 large onion cut into slices then taken apart to make rings
1/4 cup oil (extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, or whatever you have on hand)

Preheat oven to 425. Put cornflakes in a 1 gal. ziploc bag, and roll with a rolling pin until small crumbs. Then I add the breadcrumbs, and spices to the crushed cornflakes then mix it all together. Whisk together the egg and buttermilk, then whisk in the flour slowly so you don't get any lumps. Put rimmed cookie sheet with the oil in the oven and get it screaming hot. Dip onion rings in egg mixture, then dredge in crumb mixture (I put the crumb mixture on a paper plate so I can just throw the whole mess away when done). Then place the coated onion rings on hot oil coated cookie sheet. Bake until golden brown, 10 - 15 minutes. Enjoy!

*Adjust the spices to your liking, if you like it spicy by all means use cayenne pepper, or if you don't like spice at all, just salt will do!


I am still on my diet, but I figure these are baked, and everything in moderation. Right? Take care!

1 comment:

  1. Onion Rings are the world's most perfect food. Besides Arby's Roast Beef...

    XOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete